Tips for Keeping a Clean and Organized Garage
Extra space is always in high demand for homeowners as they look for an area to store their spare possessions, or are in need of another room to relax or work in. Many homeowners have responded to this quandary by transforming their garages to be more than just a space to park their cars. However, in order to maximize the value of your garage, it is essential to have the area be clean and organized. Here are a few tips that can help you keep a clean and organized garage.
- Get rid of what you don't need. Garage sales, donations and garbage day are all opportunistic times to dispose of some of your junk. Having the extra space will come in handy as you re-arrange your garage.
- Decide what you want your garage to be. Before you clean and re-organize your garage, really take the time to think about what you want to use it for. Obviously, most want to use it for a parking space. But brainstorm what types of storage items, tools and other possessions that you want to keep in there. Also, decide if you want to spend a lot of time in there, or if you only want to be in there when you have to.
- Use boxes and stackable plastic storage containers. Be sure to label each box or container as a reminder of what is inside. Clear plastic containers are also a good choice. Being able to stack the boxes or containers on top of each other will provide you with more space.
- Utilize the shelf space. Storage items that you rarely use should be boxed away and stored up high. Re-organize your shelves to fit as many boxes as possible. This will really open up space.
- Keep similar items together. This will help you stay organized and make items more accessible. You don't want items that you will need for the same job to be on separate ends of the garage. Also, a proper storage system will make the garage easier to clean.
- Purchase a protective floor cover. A protective floor cover can hide and protect stains from oil and other debris. Also, it will make your garage floor easier to clean, channel liquids and will prevent debris from getting stuck in the cracks.
- Stay on top of keeping the floor clean. Simply cleaning and maintaining the floor will increase the safety, appeal and the sanitation of your garage.